Saturday, January 21, 2017

Irish Rain


Irish rain fall on me

Fall from

Across the sea

For

I’m centuries and miles

Many, many, miles

Away from my homeland

Of

Ireland

Oh

Irish rain fall on me

Puddle in this land of America

Soak into her soil

Like your sons

And daughters

Soaked into the new world

So long ago

My fathers

My mothers

Crossing

The wavy blue waters

Of

The deep dark ocean

Carving out a new life

In a faraway land

In the Appalachians

In The Ozarks

On the streets of Southie

In Pennsport

In Hell’s Kitchen

In Five Points

All the way down to

The farmlands of Florida

Which in turn

Carved out me

Your Irish son!

So

Fall

Little drops of water

Fall far from the sky above

Pulled up to the clouds

By the midmorning’s sun

From

Dew drops dripping down

Grass blades bending

Across the rolling green hills

Of

The countryside

The creeks

The rivers

The rocky cliff shorelines

With their crashing

White cresting waves

The stonewalled castles

The moss covered Ring Crosses

That stand like soldiers

Over

My ancestor’s graves

In Ireland

Then blow clouds blow

Over the sea

To fall on me

As Irish Rain

For

Your drops are as close

As I will get to my homeland

That is

Lifetimes away from me


From my book, When The Cedars Shade Your Grave    

No comments:

Post a Comment