Saturday, November 15, 2014

Eagles And Breathing


I saw an eagle yesterday

On my way to catch my breath

For, my breath had left me

Gone again

From the curse called asthma

It feels like someone is choking you, you know?

Like the devil himself has your airway in his hands

Slowly squeezing it shut

With his long boney fingers

It’s like breathing through a coffee straw

All while trying to do your everyday routine

Trying to stay composed while the oxygen disappears from your blood

Your breathing becomes deliberate as a lie

Yet, it’s always the small things that help me stay calm

Through these difficult times

Help me focus on something other than dying

So, I look away to the sky and hope for the day I’ll be free

Like this eagle

Breathing without disease filling my lungs

Free to fly amongst clouds and dreams

With no fear filling my mind


This poem is from my book : Petals Falling

No comments:

Post a Comment